In this article I have provided important information about polygamy in Islam. It’s for those who would like a quick review. I have begun by listing some of the reasons that men engage in polygamy.
- First, there are many wars between tribes and nations. Needless to say, many men die in battle. As a result, war can leave an excess of women to men. Thus, to accommodate the excess number of women to men, polygamy helps.
- Polygamy helps widows, orphans, and any woman who is left without supporters or husbands.
- Some believe polygamy heals the wounded heart of a woman whose husband died in battle.
- Furthermore, men engaged in polygamy to increase the birthrate. In tribal areas, its members try to increase the numbers in the tribe to which they belong.
- undoubtedly, polygamy helps women who are helpless and poor. A polygamous marriage provides those women with a means of livelihood and protection.
- At one time, it was gallant of men to marry as many women as they could support.
- Some consider it a huge dishonor on a family and the entire tribe, if a female doesn’t marry or marries below her social status. Eligible girls of marriageable age had many offers of marriage, and the parents competed with each other in tempting them with jewelry and property as dower.
- Additionally, polygamy helps in some cases where a wife is chronically ill, incapacitated, or unable to bear children. Other wives contribute in that respect.
Important information about polygamy in Islam is that it is not obsolete
- Wars still leave women widowed and children without fathers.
- It’s important to note that there are many unmarried single women who long for marriage.
- Think about it. Many women dream of marriage. It does not matter if she is a physician, an educator, or an attorney. Neither does her success make a difference. Particularly, a woman, not all, would like to have a family of her own to share with a good man who is the father of her children.
- Furthermore, some women can’t bear children. Therefore, a husband may have a need for another wife.
- Most importantly, Allah made polygamy lawful. Allah speaks of polygamy in the Holy Quran, and the Quran is for all, not just some. It’s for all times, as well. It wasn’t just for yesterday or today but for tomorrow.
We would be negligent not to mention that polygamy is not an easy lifestyle to live. Needless to say, it is probably a challenge for anyone who lives it. Furthermore, neither polygamy, nor monogamy is easy to live and it seems the divorce rates show it.
It’s noteworthy that polygamous marriages are not all the same, just as monogamous marriages aren’t. They are all different.
To conclude important information about polygamy in Islam, I invite all to visit polygamy411.com , which is a blog and support group about polygamy.
Things You Need to Know about Polygamy in Islam
Share article on